I must be right. Never taken an aspirin. Never injured a day in my life. The whole country, the whole world should be doing my exercises. They would be happier.?
Joseph Pilates, age 86
Pilates is a workout system that will change your life. It offers a path to total health. It is not merely a physical fitness regimen of mindlessly repeated exercises. Pilates is a holistic approach to well-being and a life-long process of refinement. In the opening paragraph of his book Return To Life Through Contrology, Pilates wrote: “Physical fitness is the first requisite to happiness. Our interpretation of physical fitness is the ataeinment and maintenance of a uniformly developed body with a sound mind fully capable of naturally, easily and satisfactorily performing our many and varied daily tasks with spontaneous zest and pleasure.”
Girl performing twist preparation
I myself started doing Pilates after my pregnancy, although I have heard of it a lot earlier, for all its benefits. I believe that there is no better method for the integration of body, mind and spirit. If you want to devote some time for yourself, do something for your well-being, increase self-confidence and above all get a nice shaped body, Pilates is the right place for you! But notice, well-formed body is only a byproduct of Pilates, the main goal is to achieve awareness of yourself as a whole.
Here are some benefits I experienced while performing Pilates:
- develops every aspect of physical fitness; strength, flexibility, coordination, speed, agility and endurance
- enhances body control
- corrects posture and alignment
- heightens body awareness
- teaches correct muscle activation
- facilitates optimal function of the internal organs
- improve balance and proprioception
- focuses on breathing and its related physical and psychological benefits
- offers a vehicle for concentration and focus
- promotes relaxation and the release of tension
- help keep musculature and bone structure in an optimal state
- benefits pregnant women by providing a safe, effective exercise activity
- distributes body mass more aesthetically (people report looking and feeling slimmer)
- provides a path to inner harmony
Did you try it? Please share your experience with Pilates.